Alver Bank House, now Alverbank, (sometimes shown as Alver House on old maps) was built for John Wilson Croker, Politician and writer, Member of Parliament; Secretary of the Admiralty; founding member of the Athenaeum Club, London. Croker was a close associate of the Duke of Wellington, Canning and Pitt, a friend of Lord Ashburton, who built and lived in nearby Bay House. Croker had been Secretary to the Admiralty from 1809 to 1830. Ashburton encouraged Croker to acquire the land and build Alverbank next to Bay House. The house was visited by Robert Peel, the Prime Minister and the Duke of Wellington.
After the death of Croker in 1857, Prince Alfred Ernest, the future Duke of Edinburgh (from 1866) stayed at Alverbank from October 1857 to September 1858 whilst he studied under the Rev. Jolly and his tutor, Lieutenant Cowell R.E. The house was rented but not owned by Queen Victoria or her son. Victoria traveled across the Solent from Osborne House on the Isle of Wight to Alverbank, using a small pier close to the house.
In 1859 Lord Dumfermline was reported as living at Alverbank.
January 1863 the trustees of Croker leased Alverbank to Captain John Edmund Commerell VC for 21 years from 1 November 1862.
John Commerell was the second son of John Williams Commerell of Strood Park, Horsham and he entered the navy in 1842
In 1854 he was awarded a V.C. As Admiral Sir John Edmund Commerell, RN, VC he was resident with his family at Alverbank at Stokes Bay for a number of years in the 1860s and 1870s. He surrendered the lease in 1869.
In 1907 Alverbank was occupied by Edward Darell and Mrs Darell-Blount. John Darell_Blount of Alverbank died on August 10 1909. Alverbank was sold in 1912 to Winfred Alured Comyn Platt, (later a Colonel), part of a marriage settlement between Platt and Louisa Maria Atherley. The Platt family built an extension to the house (dated 1912 above the doorway) The Platts did not move from London into Alverbank until 1915, to avoid the bombing raids, and returned to London in 1917, probably because of a change in family circumstances. Their motto can be seen by the front door (parva sed apta – Small but fit, convenient or perfect), and the date above, 1912.
They then let Alverbank to Lt R Smith-Barry, who used the house as an extension to the officers’ mess from nearby Fort Grange airfield. Here he worked on the famous ‘Gosport Tube’, an apparatus that allowed young pilots to talk to their instructors during training flights. A photograph shows Smith Barry with his wife Kitty and with Lieutenants Moore (left) and Parker (right) at Alverbank.
In 1947 Gosport Borough Council made an offer of £7,500 for Alverbank with accompanying 7.5 acres of park land adjoining Stanley Park. The offer was refused so the Council issued a Compulsory Purchase Order. In 1948 the house became the property of Gosport Borough Council.
Alverbank is now the Alverbank Hotel and is next to Stanley Park, which once formed its grounds. The house is a Grade II listed building.